WHO WE ARE
Veterinary Business Advisors was formed more than 15 years ago by Charlotte Lacroix, DVM, JD, with the commitment to providing a wide range of practical legal*, human resources, and practice management services to veterinarians and their advisors nationwide. VBA’s goal is to support members of the veterinary industry as they navigate the complex web of risk management, business strategy, and the growth and development of their organization. As highly qualified professionals with a broad spectrum of experience, we provide the highest level of comprehensive business, human resources, and legal advice in the profession.
We understand each of our client’s unique objectives and assist them in successfully meeting or exceeding their full potential. As a trusted advisor, VBA builds long-lasting relationships with our clients by integrating customized consulting services with personalized and responsive attention to detail. We focus on educating them on strategic, practical, and effective solutions to add maximum value to their business results, while operating with the highest level of commitment, collaboration, competence, and compassion.
Veterinary Business Advisors is committed to the success of the veterinary industry and strives to promote awareness of important legal and business concepts in order to facilitate the ability of the profession to provide superior care and service to both patients and their owners.
Meet our VBA team leaders
Charlotte Lacroix, DVM, JD
Founder and CEO
- Earned her Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine in 1988 from UC Davis, completed a large-animal internship at the University of Guelph (Ontario, Canada), and worked at an equine medical and surgical referral practice serving northern New Jersey
- Earned her JD degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1997
- Is in-demand as a speaker around the world, frequently presenting at NAVC, AVMA, WMPG, VMG, AAHA, WVC, and other major veterinary associations, along with numerous radio and TV appearances
- Contributes regularly to the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, NAVC’s Today’s Veterinary Practice and Veterinary Practice News, American Animal Hospital Association, Veterinary Clinics of North America and Veterinary Economics-DVM360 publications
- Is past president of NAVC and also has served in leadership roles for AVMA, AAHA, AAEP, NJAEP, NJVMA and PVMA
- Serves as an adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
Kellie Olah, SPHR, SHRM-CP
Human Resources Consultant
- Nationally certified: Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
- More than 15 years’ experience in the HR field, including serving as former head of an HR department in a large technology company
- Spent 5 years as paralegal at a NJ Law Firm
- Certified: Social and Emotional Intelligence Coach
- Earned her undergraduate degree in political science from Rutgers University
- Previously served as a technician in a wildlife rehabilitation facility
- Contributes to Today’s Veterinary Business and Veterinary Practice News, as well as The Social DVM blogs
- Presents at Zoetis, Covetrus and PVMA
- Actively volunteers in various organizations, most notably the “Night to Shine” event sponsored by the Tim Tebow Foundation.
Shauna Gibbons, Esq.
- Extensive experience negotiating a wide range of corporate transactions including the acquisitions of veterinary practices and related financing, working capital facilities, lease agreements, and veterinary employment contracts.
- Previously worked as an Associate and Senior Associate for large law firms in New York specializing in complex commercial transactions.
- Earned Juris Doctorate with honors from the University of Texas Law School in 2010.
- Earned bachelor’s degree from New York University in 2006.
- Licensed to practice law in New York.
- Served as President and Project Manager for Holland Twp. PTO. Experienced in obtaining grants, public relations, advertising, and managing a diverse team.
- Earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Cum Laude, from Rowan University in 1999.
- Previously worked for 14 years in a multi-doctor Veterinary practice.
- Over 20 years’ experience as a client service professional.
- Earned a Bachelor’s Degree in English/Psychology, Summa Cum Laude, Montclair State University
- Has over 10 years of experience as a client service professional including time as a CSR in a multi-doctor veterinary practice
- Passionate about helping others and making them feel welcome.
- Helped develop and market products for an international watersports company.
- Enjoys reading, photography, and weekend naps with her rescue cat, Houdini.
The roles we play on your behalf:
Business strategist: We help you determine your options and negotiate from a position of knowledge and strength. With our real-world veterinary experience, we’ve walked a mile in your shoes, so we truly understand the nuances and challenges of running a successful practice.
Business coach: Once you’ve clarified your goals, we’ll be by your side—via in-person meetings, phone calls and reporting—to ensure that you achieve them. It’s a level of accountability that helps turn your vision into reality.
Legal advocate: We always strive to find the best, most equitable way to resolve any legal issue you may face—keeping your interests top-of-mind. Equally important, we continually scan the horizon to head off any potential problems, firmly believing that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Human resources manager: Because your employees are your practice’s greatest asset, an effective HR function is integral to its success. From recruitment to employee management to compliance with today’s myriad employment laws, we make sure you do it right.
Risk manager: Being a veterinary professional is fraught with legal, regulatory and business issues few doctors have the training to anticipate. We have the experience to identify potential risks in advance and take precautionary steps to reduce your exposure.
Teacher: Sometimes, you don’t know what you don’t know about a business opportunity, a set of circumstances, a contract, or running a successful veterinary practice. We’re here to teach you by sharing what we’ve learned, based on decades of experience helping practices grow and thrive.
Matchmaker: Sometimes you need specialized expertise—such as marketing or financial services—in addition to VBA’s capabilities. With an extensive network of trusted veterinary industry professionals, we can help you find the right match.
*Legal services are provided through Dr. Lacroix’s law firm for practices in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the two states where she is licensed to practice law.